|The American Driver
From Drivers...For Drivers
|Truckers and Citizens of America
I feel the emotions of the moment have been overpowering our full statement of what needs to be done. We have been thrust into
this position of leading and organizing, and I must apologize for the slow growth of the sites content.
So you are aware of our long term goals, here are a few to mention...
1. Immediate stoppage to the subsidies being given to big oil.
2. Release of Strategic Petroleum Reserves and the suspension of current deposits to the SPR.
3. Immediate stoppage of oil exports from our Alaskan reserves, and divert those exports to our countries supply.
4. A decrease in refined diesel exports.
5. A reduction in tax credits being given to big business.
6. Institute a regulatory board to regulate brokers...immediate action to require transparency in broker fees. (ensure passing to
drivers full surcharge and fair transportation rates)
7. Institute a regulatory board to regulate insurance brokers.
8. Uniform IFTA Fuel Tax rates for ALL states.
9. Pass legislation protecting the professional driver against shippers, receivers and companies from delaying drivers (causing
thousands of uncompensated hours) [ professional drivers are not rolling warehouses ]
10. Uniform fines for violations for ALL states.
We welcome comments regarding these issues and would like to here from y'all. Feel free to email us at
Safe Trails and God Bless
Frederick (SilverSurfer) Schaffner
STAND UP, SPEAK OUT OR ACCEPT WHAT COMES!!!
We would like to thank Gary (he didn't provide a last name) for his clear and concise input regarding what professional drivers goals
are. Gary participated in the '93 shut-down, as so did I, and has given professional drivers a statement of demands that are not only
reasonable, but have been professional drivers demands for too many years now. It's time for our government to address these issues
and stop putting the hard working American's needs on the back burner.
|PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS DEMANDS
MUCH MORE IS NEEDED UP AND ABOVE FUEL PRICES.
A minimum regulated fuel price. (establish a bottom line)
Our $ per mile should not be less than our $ per gallon.
Simple math. Don't haul anything that pays less then the price per gallon at the pump and we'll never worry about fuel prices again.
$10.00 per gallon = $10.00 per mile.
Shipper, Receivers & BROKERS NEED TO BE REGULATED.
Lumping needs to be stopped NOW.
1) It's illegal due to the Labor Act in the 30's and again by the 1980 Motor Carrier Act (deregulation)
2) It hurts the American economy/jobs.
3) It supports illegal immigration.
4) Any shipper or receiver in the shipping and/or receiving business needs to be able to ship and receive. It is their responsibility to
supply the manpower & equipment. It is their responsibility to load and unload their product they are profiting on.
WE ARE IN THE TRANSPORTATION BUSINESS NOT THE SHIPPING & RECEIVING BUSINESS.
There are too many brokers. Too many hands in the cookie jar.
Brokers who also operate out of a phone booth/or home.
Brokers are an unregulated middleman with a license to steal.
We are regulated to 70 hours. (Even attorneys are regulated).
Brokers need to be regulated to NO MORE than 10%.
NO DOUBLE BROKERING.
We need to add things that benefit ALL drivers (for unity)
Establish a minimum wage per mile. (an illegal immigration issue also)
The IRS establishes a minimum wage for state workers who work away from their home base. It is currently 50.5 cents per mile.
Drivers should be getting 50.5 cents per mile. Establish a bottom line so carriers will hire the best (safest) drivers not the cheapest
Drivers were getting .33 cents per mile in 1986 (20+ years ago.)
Log books were established in the 30's to help drivers not penalize them.
You didn't have long haul drivers in the 30's,
They spent their off duty time at home (where it was affordable.)
There are 192 hours in 8 days,
If you sleep 8 hours a day that's 64 hours sleep.
You work 70 (and it still isn't enough to pay the bills.)
What do you do with the remaining 58 HOURS?
Tolls are a double collection/tax.
This country was based on Freedom.
Either eliminate the Road Tax on toll roads or eliminate the toll.
No selling out of Interstates to foreign countries like the Indiana toll road.
Stop the NAFTA Super Highway project...which will destroy the quality of this great nation.
There are many major factors at stake here including over-priced fuel.